1 tbsp olive oil
100g chorizo, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 small chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tin’s worth of brown rice
1 vegetable stock cube
Coriander, plain yoghurt, avocado, tomato salsa, sweetcorn, fresh chilli and/or lime wedges
- This recipe is measured using the tin from the tomatoes. When you empty your tin of chopped tomatoes, use the empty tin to measure your rice and water.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over a medium-high heat and cook the onion and chorizo for 3-4 minutes and then. Add the garlic, chilli and spices and cook for another two minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and rinse out the tin, then use the tin to measure the rice.
- Pour the rice into a fine sieve and rinse thoroughly. Add the rice to the pan, then place a vegetable stock cube in the tin and fill up with boiling water. Add this to the pan, then add half of a tin more of water.
- Stir and bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, fluff it with a fork and stir in the black beans. Place the lid back on and let the beans warm through for five minutes while the rice continues to steam.
- Serve with the toppings of your choice.
290kcals, 14.3g fat (4.1g saturated), 112.8g carbs (7.3g sugars), 18.2g protein, 5.9g fibre, 0.279g sodium