500g rooster potatoes, peeled
300ml double cream
Pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
2 garlic cloves, crushed
Salt and black pepper
75g mature white Cheddar
25g Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), grated
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180 ̊C fan/gas mark 6.
- Using the mandoline, thinly slice the potatoes one at a time. Add the sliced potatoes to a colander and rinse under cool water to remove any excess starch.
- In a large pan over a medium-high heat, combine the milk, cream, nutmeg, thyme leaves and garlic.
- Add the potatoes, bring to a simmer and cook for 5-6 minutes. Remove from the heat, season and set aside.
- Layer the potatoes into a baking dish, trimming as needed and pressing them down to make them fit snugly. Pour the milk and cream mixture evenly over the potatoes.
- In a bowl, combine the two cheeses. Sprinkle evenly over the gratin, then place on a baking tray.
- Bake for 40 minutes until golden brown on top. Check if the gratin is ready by inserting the tip of a sharp knife into the centre — it should slide in easily. If the top begins to brown too quickly, cover the gratin with foil.
- Allow the gratin to stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
Per serving 494kcals, 37.1g fat (25.1g saturated), 27.3g carbs (8.1g sugars), 13.3g protein, 3.7g fibre, 0.331g sodium