Makes 12 cupcakes
For the lime cupcake:
80g unsalted butter, softened
280g caster sugar
240g self-raising flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
Zest of 2 limes
Zest of 1 lemon
Green food colouring
For the buttercream:
600g icing sugar
300g unsalted butter, softened
Juice and zest of a lemon
Juice and zest of a lime
Green and yellow food colouring
100g dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and line a cupcake tray with 12 cupcake cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together all the dry ingredients, the zest of 2 lime, 1 lemon and the butter together until a sandy texture.
- In a jug, whisk the milk and eggs together, slowly stream into the butter mix to form a smooth batter. Spoon the batter in the lined cupcake tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Once baked allow to cool completely.
- Using an electric mixer beat together the icing sugar and softened butter until light and fluffy. Separate the buttercream into 2 bowls. In one of the bowls, add the juice and zest of one lime. If the mix seems too loose, add in some extra icing sugar. Colour the buttercream a bright green.
- Add lemon juice and yellow food colouring to the other bowl and combine.
- Using two separate piping bags with star nozzles, pipe on a swirl of the lime buttercream first and then top with a swirl of the lemon buttercream.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a small bowl over simmering water. Spoon a small spoonful on the top to give the effect of a ‘Loop The Loop’.
652kcals, 29.6g fat (18.5g saturated), 94.8g carbs (77.3g sugars), 4.6g protein, 1g fibre, 0.314g sodium