210g green lentils
2 small carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
70g sunflower seeds
70g whole wheat flour, plus extra if needed
120g whole grain bread, whizzed into breadcrumbs
2 tbsp tomato purée
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
2 tsp dried oregano
Salt and black pepper
8 whole wheat burger buns, lightly toasted
Your favourite burger toppings
- Cook the lentils according to package instructions. Drain well and set aside to cool.
- In a food processor, whizz together the onion, carrots, garlic, walnuts and sunflower seeds until finely chopped, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Add half of the cooked lentils to the food processor and pulse until slightly mashed, then transfer them to the bowl along with the remaining lentils.
- Add the breadcrumbs, herbs and some salt and black pepper.
- In a measuring jug, beat the eggs together with the tomato purée and soy sauce. Pour into the bowl and stir everything together, adding the flour a little at a time as you continue to stir. If the mixture seems too wet, add more flour as needed. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Form into eight equal patties. Place on a baking tray and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium-heat. Working in batches, cook the burgers for 5-6 minutes per side. Serve on toasted wholewheat burger buns with your favourite burger toppings.
Per Serving: 308kcals, 19g fat (2.8g saturated), 11.1g carbs (6.6g sugars), 22.8g protein, 1.2g fibre, 0.659g sodium