Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the macarons:
For the lemon curd:
- Line two baking trays with non-stick parchment paper. Place the ground almonds and icing sugar into a food processor and blend for 15 seconds. Sieve the mixture into a large bowl.
- Separate the egg whites and discard the yolks. Pour the egg whites into a large, grease-free mixing bowl. Whisk until it forms soft peaks.
- Gradually add in the caster sugar, a tablespoon at a time. Whisk until it forms a stiff peaks. The meringue should be firm and glossy. Whisk in the vanilla.
- Using a spatula, fold in the almond mix one-third at a time. When all the dry mix is thoroughly incorporated, continue to cut and fold the mix until it forms a shiny batter with a thick, ribbon-like consistency.
- Pour the mix into a piping bag with a 1cm round nozzle. Pipe 32 rounds onto the prepared tray.
- Tap the tray onto the counter to remove any air bubbles. Leave to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160 ̊C/140 ̊C fan/gas 3.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes. Leave to cool for 10 minutes and then carefully peel the macarons off the baking paper. Leave to cool fully.
- For the lemon curd, combine the lemon juice and zest, sugar and butter in a pot over a low heat. Heat until the butter has melted.
- Whisk in the beaten egg and turn the heat to medium. Whisk continuously until it comes to a boil.
- Continue whisking until the mixture starts to thicken. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Once the mix is made, fold through 1-2 drops yellow food colouring. Pipe onto the tray and bake for 10-15 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool fully.
- Spoon the curd into a piping bag and snip a small hole in the end of the bag. Pipe a swirl of curd onto one of the macarons and sandwich together with another. Repeat until all are sandwiched.
Per macaron (per serving): 156kcals, 6.3g fat (2.3g saturated), 24.1g carbs (23.1g sugars), 2.5g protein, 0.7g fibre, 0.36g sodium
Biscuits & cookiesSweet thingsMother’s DayValentine’s DaySpecial OccasionsMeringueFrenchCuisinesAfternoon teaBakingVegetarian
Popular in Biscuits & cookies