1.2kg lamb shoulder, well-trimmed and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
Salt and black pepper
3 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
6 garlic cloves, crushed
3 tbsp tomato purée
4 tbsp plain flour
1.2L beef stock
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp sugar
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
4 large carrots, peeled and chopped into 2cm chunks on the diagonal
2 small parsnips, peeled and chopped into 2cm chunks on the diagonal
500g baby potatoes, halved
150g frozen peas
Fresh parsley, chopped
Crusty bread (optional)
- Pat the lamb dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large casserole dish or heavy-based pot over a medium-high heat until hot and shimmering. Working in three batches to avoid crowding the pan, sear the lamb on all sides, adding one more tablespoon of oil for each batch. Allow the lamb to develop a good browned crut on all sides, then transfer to a bowl pan and set aside.
- Add the onions, celery and garlic to the pot along with two tablespoons of water. Cook for 5-6 minutes until softened, using a wooden spoon to scrape any sticky bits from the bottom of pan.
- Stir in the tomato paste and stir for 2-3 minutes. Return the lamb to the pan along with any juices it has released into the bowl. Sprinkle with the flour and cook for two minutes, stirring.
- Pour in the Guinness and again use a wooden spoon to loosen any sticky bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the stock, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, bay leaf and rosemary and bring to a boil. Cover the pot with a layer of tin foil, then add the lid. Turn the heat to low and simmer for one hour and 20 minutes.
- Add the carrots and potatoes, then cover and continue to simmer for another 30-40 minutes until the lamb is very tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaf and rosemary, and then taste and add salt and/or pepper if necessary. Stir in the frozen peas and cook for 2-3 minutes until warmed through. Scatter with fresh parsley and serve as is or with some good crusty bread
Per serving: 800kcals, 35.8g fat (11.7g saturated), 34.7g carbs (8.7g sugars), 79g protein, 7.1g fibre, 1.286g sodium