Knob of butter
4 streaky bacon rashers, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1½ tbsp plain flour
4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into very small cubes
600g smoked haddock fillets
1 x 198g tin of sweetcorn, drained
3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 x 320g sheet of puff pastry
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Add the onion and carrots and cook for 4-5 minutes until soft. Scatter over the flour and stir for two minutes.
- Gradually add the milk and cream, stirring constantly until the mixture forms a smooth sauce. Add the potatoes. Bring almost to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 6-8 minutes. Add the haddock and cook gently for 3-4 minutes longer.
- Stir through the sweetcorn and fresh parsley and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C/160 ̊C fan/gas mark 4.
- Lightly grease two individual baking dishes with butter and unroll the puff pastry. Cut the pastry into four pieces large enough to form lids for the dishes.
- Divide the chowder filling between the two dishes, then cover with the pastry lids and crimp together at the edges. Brush with beaten egg, then use a sharp knife to pierce 2-3 holes in the top to let steam escape.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is golden.
Per serving 962kcals, 46.9g fat (17.5g saturated), 87.6g carbs (13.9g sugars), 48g protein, 9.4g fibre, 1.329g sodium