1 kg of potatoes
1 tsp salt
100g duck fat
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6.
- Place the duck fat into a large roasting tin, then place this in the oven while it preheats so the fat can heat.
- Cut potatoes into quarters and smaller ones into halves, so they are all roughly the same size. Rinse under cold water, then place them into a large pot.
- Cover with cold water and add 1 tsp salt. Bring to the boil and cook for 5-6 minutes until slightly tender. Drain the potatoes well and turn off the hob.
- Return the pan to the warm hob. Steam the potatoes dry for 1-2 minutes, shaking the pan to rough up the edges.
- Remove the roasting tin from the oven and carefully add the potatoes, tossing in the fat. Season generously with salt and black pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes, turning halfway through, until the potatoes are very golden and crisp. Season with salt and serve immediately while hot.