Makes 25-30 biscuits
For the biscuits:
225g unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
115g caster sugar
340g plain flour
125g custard powder
3 tbsp milk
For the buttercream:
200g icing sugar
50g custard powder
125g unsalted butter, softened
1-2 tbsp milk (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Line 2-3 baking trays with non-stick parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, vanilla and sugar until light. Sift in the flour and custard powder and mix until just combined. Stir in the milk.
- Use your hands to gather the mixture together to form a ball. Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or until firm.
- Remove the chilled dough and place on a floured surface. Roll the dough out to 5mm thick. Using a square cutter, cut out the biscuits and place onto the prepared baking trays, leaving enough space between each.
- Put the trays of biscuits in the fridge for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and use a cocktail stick to mark a dotted line around the edge of the biscuits.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the biscuits are a pale golden brown colour. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the icing sugar, custard powder and butter until smooth. If the icing is too thick, add one tablespoon of milk to loosen it.
- Pipe the icing onto one of the biscuits and top with another.
189kcals, 10g fat (6.2g saturated), 24.1g carbs (10.6g sugars), 1.7g protein, 0.3g fibre, 0.085g sodium