Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C/170˚C/gas mark 5. Line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk and Guinness. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add the cubes of butter.
- Use your fingers to work in the butter just until the mixture resembles crumbs; do not over mix. Stir in the Cheddar and the spring onions.
- Add the Guinness mixture all at once and mix until just barely combined; do not over mix.
- Dump the dough onto a floured surface and kneading for 4-5 seconds just to incorporate any loose flour.
- Use your hands to pat the dough out to about 2cm thick. Dip a 4-5cm pastry cutter into some flour and use to cut out the scones. Re-roll the scraps and continue cutting until all of the dough has been used.
- Transfer the scones onto the prepared baking trays, spacing them 2-3cm apart. Brush the tops of the scones with buttermilk and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the scones are golden brown and sound hollow when the bottoms are tapped, rotating the trays halfway through.
Per Serving: 224k cals, 8.5g fat (5.1g saturated), 27.1g carbs (0.9g sugars), 7g protein, 1g fibre, 0.194g sodium
Popular in Scones
Coconut and sweet potato scones