125g plain flour
150g granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp espresso powder
6 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
120ml whole milk
85g butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
1 tsp vanilla extract
220g brown sugar
60g dark chocolate chips
360ml very hot water
Good-quality vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160 ̊C fan/gas mark 4. Lightly grease a 20cm baking dish with butter.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, espresso powder and half of the cocoa powder.
- In a jug, whisk together the milk, melted butter and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine into a thick batter. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar and remaining cocoa powder. Sprinkle evenly over the batter, followed by the chocolate chips. Pour the hot water over the top, but do not stir.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 40 minutes until the centre is just barely set. Allow to rest and cool for 8-10 minutes, then serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Per Serving: 364kcals, 11.8g fat (7.3g saturated), 66.2g carbs (50.4g sugars), 3.5g protein, 1.8g fibre, 0.077g sodium