Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the icing:
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Grease three 20cm round cake tins and line with parchment paper.
- Sift the first six ingredients into a bowl and set aside.
- Beat the butter and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat in the treacle, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in the dry ingredients until they are just combined.
- Divide the batter among the tins and bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool slightly in the tin, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat the butter for the icing until completely smooth and creamy. Gradually beat in the icing sugar until fluffy, then beat in the cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Place one of the sponges on a cake stand and top with one-third of the buttercream icing. Spread it into a thick, even layer over the top of the sponge. Repeat with the other two layers.
- Top with mini gingerbread houses or biscuits.
Per Serving 488kcals, 24.2g fat (14.9g saturated), 65.6g carbs, 46.8g sugars, 4.2g protein, 1g fibre, 0.277g sodium
Popular in Cakes
Microwave apple cake