3 large whole garlic bulbs
1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
4 herby sausages, sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
2 x 400g tins of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1.4l chicken stock
3 sprigs of rosemary
1 Parmesan rind (optional)
1 head of savoy cabbage, shredded
Salt and black pepper
Juice of ½ a lemon
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6. Slice about half a centimetre off the top of each bulb of garlic to expose the tops of the cloves. Place the heads of garlic on squares of tin foil. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap up tightly. Place on a baking tray and roast for 40 minutes until very tender. When cooled, squeeze the garlic out of their skins and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pot over a medium-high heat. Cook the sausages for 7-8 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside, reserving the fat in the pan.
- Return the pot to a medium heat, adding a little extra olive oil if necessary. Cook the onion and celery in the sausage fat for about five minutes until softened, but not browned. Add the chilli flakes and cook for one minute.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, stock, roasted garlic cloves, sprigs of rosemary and Parmesan rind, if using. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes. Remove the rosemary sprigs and Parmesan rind.
- Use a stick blender or food processor to whizz the stew until smooth.
- Add the cabbage, cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes until softened. Slice the sausages into 1cm rounds, add to the pot and cook for another five minutes until everything is warmed through. Season the stew with salt and pepper and squeeze in the lemon juice.
- Divide between serving bowls. Garnish with grated Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil.
Per serving: 600kcals, 9.2g fat (1.8g saturated), 98.2g carbs, 10.3g sugars, 37.3g protein, 37.9g fibre, 0.91g sodium
Top Tip: Don’t throw out your Parmesan rinds! They’re a great way to add flavour to soups like this one.