Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Heat oven to 190°C/ 170°C fan/gas mark 5
- Put the onion and a large sprig of bayor thyme if you have it, in the cavity between the legs. If using stuffing, pack half into the neck end, pushing it towards the breast. Secure the neck skin in position with skewers and tie the turkey legs together at the top of the drumsticks to give a neat shape.
- The rule of thumb is 20 mins per kilo when roasting a turkey, plus 90 mins. So approx. 2 hours 45 minutes-3 hours total for this 4.25kg turkey.
- Put a large sheet of extra-wide foil in a large roasting tin, then put the turkey on top. Smear the breast with the butter and season well, then loosely bring up the foil and seal well to make a parcel.
- Roast in the oven, then 90 mins before the end of cooking, open the foil, and drain off excess fat from the tin. Leaving the foil open, trimming if needed. Cover the breast with the Clonakilty Streaky Rashers, overlapping it until all the bacon is used. Return the turkey to the oven to brown, basting with the juices several times.
- To test whether the turkey is cooked, push a skewer into the thickest part of the thigh–the juices should run clear. If they are pinkish, cook for 15 mins more, then test again.
- Transfer the turkey to a platter, cover with foil, then a couple of tea towels and allow to rest for up to 30 mins before carving. This gives the juices time to settle back into the meat, ensuring that the turkey will be nice and moist. Serve with all your favourite Christmas family sides and gravy.
Per serving: 615kcals, 14g fat, 0g carbs, 121g protein, 0g fibre, 1mg sodium, 0g sugar
Popular in Christmas
Rum & pistachio chocolate fudge