750g cherries, pitted and halved
120g granulated sugar
2 tbsp cornflour
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the topping:
130g plain flour
100g granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
25g cold butter, cut into pieces
100ml cold milk
Vanilla ice cream or custard
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C/200˚C fan/gas mark 7.
- Combine the cherries, sugar, cornflour, lemon juice and vanilla in a saucepan over a medium heat. Stir and bring to a simmer for about five minutes until the cherries have softened and the mixture has thickened.
- Transfer the mixture to a 20cm square baking tin.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
- Rub in the cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually stir in just enough milk to bring the mixture together into a dough.
- Drop spoonfuls of the dough over the cherry mixture.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the top is golden brown and the mixture is bubbling. Serve with vanilla ice cream or custard.
Per Serving: 299kcals, 3.1g fat (1.9g saturated), 66.2g carbs (25.8g sugars), 2.6g protein, 1.2g fibre, 0.116g sodium