1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for rubbing
150g smoked bacon lardons
400g shallots, peeled
200g button mushrooms, larger ones halved
300g carrots, peeled and chopped
2 leeks, washed, trimmed and sliced
2 celery stalks, roughly sliced
1 x 400g tin of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1.6kg whole chicken
300ml white wine
300ml chicken stock
1 bouquet garni
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
Mixed leaves and/or crusty bread
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C/gas mark 6.
- Heat the oil in a large, ovenproof casserole dish over a medium-high heat and cook the lardons for 3-4 minutes until lightly golden.
- Add the shallots and mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly browned. Add the carrots, leeks and celery. Season with salt and black pepper and cook for 4-5 minutes longer until everything is browned. Stir in the beans.
- Add the chicken to the pot, nestling it snugly into the vegetable mixture. Rub
the skin all over with olive oil and season generously with salt and black pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes, uncovered. Pour in the wine and stock and add the bouquet garni. Put the lid on, return to the oven and cook for one hour and 15 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked throughout and the juices run clear when you pierce the thickest part of the thigh with a knife.
- Transfer the chicken to a board, tent loosely with foil and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes. Remove and discard the bouquet garni. Stir in the wholegrain mustard and keep the vegetables and beans warm over a medium-low heat.
- Divide the vegetable mixture amongst four shallow serving bowls, then carve the chicken and place it on top of the vegetables. Serve with mixed leaves and/or some good crusty bread.ome
Per serving 711kcals, 20.4g fat (5.8g saturated), 40.9g carbs (7.5g sugars), 5.3g fibre, 0.897g sodium