4 small fennel bulbs, trimmed
½ tbsp olive oil
20g butter, plus extra for greasing
4 onions, thinly sliced
1 bay leaf
60ml dry white wine
240ml light cream
Salt and black pepper
100g Parmesan, grated
30g Mr. Crumb Fresh Breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C/gas mark 4.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with butter. Put the fennel in a large pan of salted water. Bring to a simmer over a medium heat and cook for one minute, then drain and cool completely. Pat dry with kitchen paper, then slice.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Add the onions and bay leaf and cook, stirring occasionally, for about ten minutes until golden and softened. Season well.
- Add the wine to the pan, scraping up any sticky bits with a wooden spoon, and cook for 1-2 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the cream. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
- Spread one-third of the creamed onions in the bottom of the baking dish and layer half of the fennel slices on top. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with half of the Parmesan. Top with half of the remaining onions, the rest of the fennel and then the last of the onions. Finish with the remaining Parmesan and breadcrumbs, then cover with foil and bake for one hour, or until the fennel is tender. Allow to rest for 5-7 minutes before serving.
Per Serving 188kcals, 12.3g fat (7.3g saturated), 14.3g carbs, 2.2g sugars, 5.6g protein, 4g fibre, 0.184g sodium