For the crunchy lemon crumbs:
1½ tbsp olive oil
Zest of 1 lemon
Salt and black pepper
For the pasta:
320g spaghetti or linguine
200g kale, stalks removed, thinly sliced
Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
120g Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), grated, plus extra to serve
Juice of 1 lemon
- For the crunchy lemon crumbs, heat the oil in a small pan over a medium-low heat. Add the breadcrumbs and lemon zest and toast gently for 5-6 minutes until golden brown and crunchy, being careful they don’t burn. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain well, reserving a large cupful of the pasta cooking water.
- Meanwhile, melt 30g of the butter in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the kale, chilli flakes (if using) and garlic and cook for two minutes. Stir in 180ml of the pasta cooking water and cook for 2-3 minutes until the kale is very soft and wilted.
- Turn the heat to low and add the drained pasta, Parmesan and remaining butter. Toss until the cheese melts and a thick sauce coats the pasta; add a splash more cooking water if needed to achieve a glossy sauce. Stir in the lemon juice and season to taste.
- Divide amongst four bowls and top with the crunchy lemon crumbs.
Per serving 675kcals, 24.7g fat (12.1g saturated), 88.3g carbs (4.2g sugars), 25.8g protein, 4.7g fibre, 0.637g sodium