For the cupcakes:
240g self-raising flour
280g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
80g unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the buttercream:
400g icing sugar
200g unsalted butter, softened
½ tsp vanilla extract
200g white fondant
A few drops of red food colouring
Cornflour, to prevent sticking
24 fondant eyeballs
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and line a muffin tin with 12 paper cases.
- First, make the cupcakes. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the flour, caster sugar and butter until a sandy texture forms.
- In a jug, whisk together the milk, eggs and vanilla. Slowly stream this into the butter mix to form a smooth batter. Spoon the batter into the lined cupcake tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, then set aside and allow to cool completely.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the icing sugar, softened butter and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add a little boiling water to loosen the buttercream if required.
- Using a piping bags with a star nozzles, pipe on a swirl of buttercream on top of each cupcake.
- To make the bunny faces, divide the fondant in half. Leave half of the fondant white and add a few drops of red colouring to the other half. Knead the colour into the fondant until it’s a light pink colour.
- Take two small pieces of fondant, roll them into a two small balls and flatten them to an oval shape. Use a little cornflour on your fingers to stop them from sticking.
- Repeat step eight using two pieces of the pink fondant and making them slightly smaller than the white. Dip a paintbrush into a little water and use it to stick the pink onto the white.
- Repeat steps eight and nine until you have 24 ears made. Use the remaining pink fondant to make 12 small balls for the noses.
- Push the fondant ears down into the buttercream. Push the two eyes and the pink noses into the front of the buttercream.
Per Serving 561kcals, 21.5g fat (12.8g saturated), 91.2g carbs (74.5g sugars), 3.9g protein, 0.6g fibre, 0.156g sodium