Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the filling:
For the pastry:
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a large pot over a high heat. Add the lentils, curry powder, turmeric and black pepper. Reduce the heat to a simmer and allow to simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped carrots and potatoes and cook for 15 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour, salt, butter and shortening in a large bowl. Use your fingers or a pastry cutter to rub the butter and shortening into the flour until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the water a splash at a time, stirring with a fork after each addition, until the dough comes together. Gather into a ball, wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C/200˚C fan/gas mark 7. Lightly grease a large baking tray with oil or butter.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and roll each one out to a circle about 20cm in diameter.
- Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of the lentil mixture over one half of each circle, leaving a 1cm border from the edge. Fold over each pie, using a little water to seal the edges. Seal by pressing the back of a fork all the way around the semi-circular edges.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy immediately or transfer to a wire rack to cool completely and pack for later.
Per Serving 437 kcal, 24.1g fat (13.8g saturated), 46.2g carbs, 1.2g sugar, 9.4g protein, 7.2g fibre, 0.487g sodium.
You can save time by swapping the homemade pastry for shop-bought shortcrust pastry
Popular in Lunchbox
Build-your-own energy balls