Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Place the sliced onions in a bowl and cover with the buttermilk. Allow to soak for at least one hour.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and cayenne pepper.
- In a deep-fat fryer or large deep saucepan, heat the vegetable oil to 190˚C.
- Use your hands or a pair of tongs to transfer about a quarter of the onions into the flour mixture. Turn to coat, shake off any excess, and plunge the onions into the hot oil.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown, then remove with a slotted spoon. Drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper and keep warm while you fry the remaining onion rings in batches.
Per serving: 384kcals, 24.4g fat (4.8g saturated), 36.5g carbs, 4g sugars, 5.2g protein, 2.7g fibre, 1.764g sodium
TOP TIP: Soaking the onion rings in buttermilk helps to mellow out the strong flavour of the onions while also providing a viscous surface for the flour mixture to cling to.