1.3kg broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
120g butter, plus extra for greasing
½ onion, finely chopped
220g mushrooms, finely chopped
5 tbsp plain flour
950ml fresh milk
220g mature Cheddar, grated
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
For the topping:
30g butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6 and grease a baking dish with butter.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the broccoli for 3-4 minutes, until just barely tender. Drain the broccoli in a colander and rinse with cold water.
- Melt half of the butter in a pan over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes until the liquid released by the mushrooms has all evaporated. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter in a medium saucepan over a medium heat, then add the flour and whisk for 1-2 minutes until the mixture is lightly browned and has a nutty aroma. Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly until it has all been added. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the mixture thickens.
- Add one-third of the Cheddar and stir until completely melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the onions and mushrooms, then season with the salt and pepper.
- Place the broccoli in the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with another third of the Cheddar. Pour the sauce over the broccoli, then sprinkle with the remaining Cheddar.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with the melted butter until all of the crumbs are moistened. Sprinkle them over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown and the sauce is bubbling. Remove from the oven and rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 257kcals, 14.9g fat (8.8g saturated), 20.8g carbs, 7.2g sugars, 12.3g protein, 3.6g fibre, 0.508g sodium