4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 heaped tbsp plain flour
80g fresh spinach, roughly chopped
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Salt and black pepper
4 large Portobello mushrooms
4 thin slices of tomato
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170˚C/gas mark 5 and lightly grease a baking dish.
- Melt the butter in a pan, and add the garlic. Cook over a low heat for 1-2 minutes until the garlic is fragrant. Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 1-2 minutes. Add the milk a little at the time, whisking the sauce smooth each time before adding the next splash.
- Add the spinach and a pinch of nutmeg and season generously. Cook for 3-4 minutes longer until the spinach is wilted.
- Place the mushrooms in the prepared baking dish and fill with the creamed spinach. Top each mushroom with a slice of tomato.
- Bake for around 30 minutes, until the mushrooms are soft and the creamed spinach is just beginning to turn golden brown on top. Serve with pan-fried potatoes.
Per serving: 366kcals, 23.9g fat (14.9g saturated), 27.9g carbs, 8.1g sugars, 14.4g protein, 4g fibre, 0.329g sodium
Want some more vegetarian recipes?