280g plain flour
40g caster sugar
1½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
90g butter, melted, plus extra for cooking
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
125g rainbow sprinkles (not nonpareils), plus extra to serve
- Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla extract and butter.
- Gradually stir in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Gently fold in the sprinkles.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. When it is hot, add some butter. When the butter begins to foam, add small ladlefuls of the batter to the pan (add as many as can fit in the pan without touching).
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until bubbles form in the centre of the pancakes and the edges are golden brown. Flip and cook for another minute until golden. Transfer to a plate and keep warm while you repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Serve warm with whipped cream and extra sprinkles.