1kg potatoes, peeled and diced
250g cabbage, finely sliced
2 tbsp butter
1 bunch of spring onions, finely sliced
Sea salt and black pepper
- Add the potato to a pot of cold water, cover, place over a high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potato is tender when pierced with the tip of a knife.
- Place a metal steamer into another pot, add a little water and bring to the boil. Place the cabbage into the steamer and steam cook until it is tender.
- When the potatoes are cooked, remove from the heat, drain into a colander, then return to the pot with the butter and milk.
- Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy. You may want to add a little bit more milk and butter to reach your desired consistency,
- Add the spring onion, steamed cabbage, sea salt and black pepper and stir with a spoon until evenly combined.
- Serve the colcannon straight away with a little extra butter and sea salt if desired.
Per serving: 170kcals, 4.3g fat (2.6g saturated), 30.3g carbs, 4.1g sugars, 4g protein, 5.4g fibre, 0.209g sodium.
Recipe courtesy of Danielle Conaty