100g desiccated coconut
4 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Spread the coconut on a baking tray and toast in the oven for five minutes until they just start to brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly.
- Combine the egg whites, sugar, vanilla extract and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk until the mixture is completely combined and frothy.
- Fold in the coconut. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. With wet hands to prevent sticking, shape the mixture into small balls and place about 5cm apart on the baking tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Leave to cool for five minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Per serving: 62kcals, 3.6g fat (3.2g saturated), 7g carbs, 6g sugars, 1.2g protein, 0.9g fibre, 0.04g sodium
If you like coconut desserts, these lemon coconut buns a worth a try!