150g cooked sweet potato, cooled
150g self-raising flour
Zest of 1 lime
20g desiccated coconut, plus extra for sprinkling
80g coconut oil
2 tbsp maple syrup
Pinch of salt
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 190 ̊C/170 ̊C fan/gas mark 5. Line a baking tray with non-stick parchment paper.
2. Wash your hands and gather all of your ingredients together.
3. Scrap out the insides of the sweet potato and pop the skins into the compost bin.
4. Mash up the sweet potato with a fork and set aside.
5. Place the flour, lime zest and desiccated coconut in a large bowl.
6. Add the coconut oil. (If the coconut oil is very hard, warm it in the microwave for 5-10 seconds just to soften it slightly.) Use clean fingers to rub the oil into the flour until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
7. Stir in the sweet potato, maple syrup and salt.
8. Stir everything together to form a smooth dough. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and roll it out the dough to approximately one inch thick.
9. Use a pastry cutter to cut out the scones. Place them on the lined tray and brush with beaten egg.
10. Sprinkle on some extra coconut and bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool before serving.
Per serving: 134kcals, 7.7g fat (6.4g saturated), 14.6g carbs (3g sugars), 2.1g protein, 0.9g fibre, 0.011g sodium