2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, grated
2 tsp Madras spice mix (you could also use garam masala)
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp turmeric
400g red lentils
1 x 400ml tin of coconut milk
600ml vegetable stock
200g cherry tomatoes, halved, or larger tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp mango chutney
200g fresh spinach, roughly chopped
Handful of fresh coriander (optional)
Spring onions, chopped
Sliced almonds, toasted
- Heat the oil in a large heavy based pot over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger and spices and cook for two minutes, then add all of the remaining ingredients except for the spinach.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach and cook for another 5-10 minutes or until the lentils are completely soft.
- Add the coriander, if desired, and stir through. Add a little more stock or water if you prefer your dhal with more liquid.
- Serve topped with chopped spring onions and some toasted sliced almonds.
Per Serving: 468kcals, 22.8g fat (16g saturated), 51.4g carbs (7.4g sugars), 20.5g protein, 23.6g fibre, 0.356g sodium