Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the macarons:
For the coulis:
For the buttercream:
- 1 Line two baking trays with non-stick parchment paper. Place the ground almonds, coconut and icing sugar into a food processor and blend for 15 seconds. Sieve the mixture into a large bowl.
- Separate the egg whites and discard the yolks. Pour the egg whites into a large, grease free mixing bowl. Whisk until it forms soft peaks.
- Gradually add in the caster sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Whisk until it forms stiff peaks. The meringue should be firm and glossy. Whisk in the vanilla.
- Using a spatula, fold in the coconut mixture one-third at a time. When all the dry mix is thoroughly incorporated, continue to cut and fold the mix until it forms a shiny batter with a thick, ribbon like consistency.
- Pour the mix into a piping bag with a 1cm round nozzle. Pipe 32 rounds onto the prepared tray.
- Sprinkle on some extra coconut on the top of each macaron. Tap the tray onto the counter to remove any air bubbles. Leave to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160 ̊C/140 ̊C fan/gas mark 3.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes. Leave to cool for 10 minutes and then carefully peel the macarons off the baking paper. Leave to cool fully.
- For the coulis, cut the passion fruits in half and spoon the pulp into a pan. Place over a medium heat and add the caster sugar. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer for 3-5 minutes. Pass the mix through a sieve into a bowl and discard the seeds. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat together the icing sugar and butter until smooth. Gradually beat in 1-2 tablespoons of the passion fruit coulis until well combined and a pale yellow colour. If the buttercream becomes too loose, add extra icing sugar. Spoon the mix into a piping bag, snip a small hole in the end of the bag.
- Spoon the remaining curd into a piping bag. Use a scissors to snip a small hole in the end of the bag.
- Pipe a ring of buttercream around the outer edge of one of the macaron shells, leaving a hole in the centre. Fill the centre with a spoonful of the passion fruit coulis, so it sits nicely in the hole. Sandwich together with another macaron shell. Repeat until all are sandwiched.
Per Serving: 143kcals, 6.3g fat (3.1g saturated), 21.5g carbs (20.1g sugars), 1.7g protein, 1g fibre, 0.32g sodium
Popular in Meringue
Passionfruit meringue gateaux