Makes 1 tray
Juice and zest of 2 limes
4 tbsp gelatine powder
400g caster sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
2 eggs, separated
50g desiccated coconut
- Line a 20cm square tin with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a jug, heat 125ml of water with the juice and zest of one lime. Stir in the gelatine until completely dissolved and set aside in a warm place.
- In a pot set over a medium-high heat, stir together the caster sugar, golden syrup, the juice of the remaining lime and 125ml of water. Checking with a thermometer, heat to 120-130˚C, or check by dropping some of the syrup into cold water to see if it forms a rigid ball.
- Once the mix has reached the right temperature, whisk in the dissolved gelatine mixture and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks. While the mix is still whisking, stream in the hot liquid slowly and continue whisking until very stiff.
- Pour into the prepared tin, sprinkle over the desiccated coconut and allow to set for eight hours or overnight.
- Once set, cut into cubes.
Per serving: 107kcals, 2.1g fat (1.6g saturated), 22.1g carbs (20.6g sugars), 2g protein, 0.6g fibre, 0.012g sodium