Makes 9 large or 16 small
For the bars:
225g butter, softened
225g caster sugar
260g self-raising flour
2 tbsp desiccated coconut
2 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp milk
Zest of 2 limes
For the syrup:
Juice of 3 limes
20g caster sugar
For the icing:
200g icing sugar
Juice of 1 lime
1-2 tsp boiling water
25g toasted desiccated coconut
Zest of 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Line a 20cm square tin with non- stick parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar for the sponge until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add the flour, desiccated coconut, baking powder, milk and lime zest. Mix until just combined and pour into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- For the lime syrup, combine the lime juice and caster sugar in a pot. Allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Using a cocktail stick, pierce small holes into the top of the sponge. Spoon over the syrup and allow to soak into the sponge. Set aside.
- For the lime icing, stir together the icing sugar and lime juice. If required, add some boiling water to loosen slightly.
- Spread the water icing over the top of the cooled sponge. Sprinkle on the toasted desiccated coconut and some extra lime zest. Place in the fridge for five minutes to set the icing, then cut into nine large or 16 small squares.
Per small square 301kcals, 14.4g fat (9.1g saturated), 41.3g carbs (28g sugars), 3.5g protein, 0.9g fibre, 0.1g sodium