Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- 1 In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, butter and salt with 250ml cold water. Stir constantly over a medium heat until the butter has melted, then bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat, add the flour and baking powder and beat well until combined. Add the egg and beat until glossy and smooth. Set aside and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the caster sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil to 180 ̊C. Line a large baking tray with kitchen paper.
- Transfer the churro mixture to a large piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
- Once the oil is at the correct temperature, cook the churros in small batches, allowing the oil to come back up to temperature after each batch. Gently pipe the dough vertically into the oil, pinching the end of each strip to release. Cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown, gently turning each churro over once using a slotted spoon.
- Remove using a slotted spoon and transfer to the baking tray to drain.
- Leave for 1-2 minutes, then toss in the cinnamon sugar. Continue until all the churros are cooked. Serve with chocolate or caramel sauce.
Per serving: 573kcals, 45.2g fat (14.9g saturated), 40..3g carbs (16.8g sugars), 4.1g protein, 1.4g fibre, 0.135g sodium
Popular in Step-by-step