Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5-6 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic, carrot and celery. Season with salt and black pepper and cook for five minutes.
- Add the thyme leaves, pearl barley and stock and simmer for 25 minutes or until the barley is tender.
- Add the broccoli and tomatoes and cook for five minutes longer. Stir through the spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes until wilted. Season to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and spoon a little pesto over each portion, if desired. Drizzle with some extra-virgin olive oil and finish with a crack of black pepper.
Per serving: 158kcals, 6.2g fat (2.6g saturated), 26.6g carbs (5.4g sugars), 5.4g protein, 6.6g fibre, 0.786g sodium
DinnerFreezer-friendlySoupDiabetic-friendlyLunch & snacks30-minute mealsLow-fatOne-potQuick and easyBudget mealsComfort foodMake it HealthyVegetarian
Popular in Soup
Smoked haddock chowder