100g dried cranberries
100g mixed peel
150g dried apricot
100g cherries, chopped
Zest and juice of 1 orange
200ml whiskey (100ml for the recipe, 100ml for soaking)
225g plain flour, plus 2 tbsp
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp cinnamon
100g ground almonds
100g almonds, chopped
225g dark brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 140˚C/120˚C/gas mark 1. Line a deep 20cm tin with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the dried fruit, orange juice and zest and 100ml of the whiskey. Set aside to soak for at least four hours.
- Sieve 225g of the flour into a second bowl and add the mixed spice, cinnamon, ground almonds and chopped almonds.
- In a third bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Fold in the beaten eggs, using two tablespoons of flour to prevent the mixture curdling. Mix gently to combine.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for 2½-3 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. If the cake is browning too quickly, cover with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Using a skewer, pierce holes into the top of the cake and spoon in the remaining 100ml of whiskey. Allow the cake to cool completely.
- To store the cake, cover in parchment paper and wrap in tin foil. Make in advance and continue to soak with whiskey to preserve the cake.
Per Serving 347kcals, 16.2g fat (6.4g saturated), 39.5g carbs (22.8g sugars), 5.6g protein, 2.9g fibre, 0.09g sodium