For the coating:
¼ tsp cocoa powder
For the cannoli:
Oil, for frying
6 medium flour tortillas
225g cream cheese
4 tbsp Ricotta
4 tbsp sour cream
½ tsp vanilla extract
180g chocolate chips
- In a bowl, combine the sugar and cocoa powder for the coating.
- Heat about 5cm of vegetable oil to about 180˚C in a medium saucepan over a medium-high heat.
- In a bowl, beat together the cream cheese, Ricotta and sugar. Mix in the sour cream and vanilla, then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Place a sixth of the mixture down the centre the middle of a tortilla and roll up like a burrito. Secure with toothpicks. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and Ricotta mixture.
- Working one at a time, cook the cannoli in the hot oil for 2-3 minutes, flipping halfway, until golden brown. Remove and drain briefly on kitchen paper.
- Roll in the coating mixture, remove the toothpicks and serve immediately
Per serving: 578kcals, 38.8g fat (18.8g saturated), 52.2g carbs, 37.5g sugars, 7.9g protein, 2.5g fibre, 0.163g sodium
If you don’t have a kitchen thermometer, you can check the oil is at the right temperature for frying by sticking the handle of a wooden spoon into the oil. The oil should start to bubble steadily. If it bubbles very vigorously, then the oil is too hot. If no bubbles, or very few, pop up, it’s not hot enough.