For the sponge:
225g plain flour
350g caster sugar
85g cocoa powder
1ó tsp baking powder
1ó tsp bicarbonate of soda
125ml vegetable oil
Zest of 2 oranges
250ml boiling water
For the orange chocolate icing:
500g icing sugar
50g cocoa powder
275g unsalted butter, softened
100g dark chocolate, melted
Zest of 1 orange
For the ganache:
230g dark chocolate
8 segments of Terry’s Chocolate Orange
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/ gas mark 4. Line four 20cm cake tins with non-stick parchment paper.
- To make the sponge, combine all of the ingredients except for the boiling water into a large bowl. Beat together until the mixture is just combined.
- Add the boiling water, a little at a time, mixing and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- Divide the mixture evenly amongst the tins and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- To make the icing, beat together the icing sugar, cocoa powder and unsalted butter until smooth. Add the melted chocolate and orange zest and beat until smooth.
- To assemble the cake, place the first sponge layer on a cake stand or serving plate. Spread over some of the buttercream and place the next sponge on top. Continue to stack and spread each of the sponges.
- Use a palette knife or offset spatula to spread the buttercream over the top and sides of the cake, making sure to fill in any gaps. Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes to set.
- Once set, spread over more buttercream to cover any crumbs and smooth the icing; reserve some of the buttercream to pipe swirls on the top. Allow the cake to sit in the freezer or fridge until set and cold.
- To make the ganache, boil the cream in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add the chopped dark chocolate, remove from the heat and allow to sit until melted. Stir together until the ganache is very smooth.
- Pour the ganache over the top of the cake and around the edges, letting it drip down the sides of the cake.
- Using a star-shaped nozzle, pipe swirls of the buttercream icing around the top edges.
- Stick wedges of Terry’s Chocolate Orange between the piped swirls, then top each swirl of icing with some orange zest.
Per Serving 577kcals, 30.6g fat (16.4g saturated), 74.7g carbs (58g sugars), 5.8g protein, 4.6g fibre, 0.193g sodium