For the chocolate loaf:
1 tbsp instant coffee
110ml boiling water
32g cocoa powder
120g plain flour
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
200g caster sugar
Pinch of salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
55g Greek yoghurt
100g chocolate chips
For the Swiss meringue buttercream:
4 egg whites
300g caster sugar
400g unsalted butter, softened and chopped
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g dark chocolate, melted
Chocolate mini eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and line a 900g loaf tin with non-stick parchment paper.
- For the chocolate loaf, place the instant coffee in a heatproof jug, add the boiling water and stir to combine. Pour the coffee into a saucepan and add the cocoa powder and butter. Place over a medium heat until the butter is melted. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, sieve together the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Add the caster sugar, salt and the cooled chocolate mix. Stir until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the vanilla, egg and yoghurt. Pour into the chocolate mixture and stir. Fold through the chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool fully.
- For the Swiss meringue buttercream, place a bowl over a pot of simmering water. Add the egg whites and sugar and whisk until all of the sugar has dissolved and is no longer grainy. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer into a freestanding mixer and whisk for about 10 minutes or until completely cool.
- Once cool, add the softened unsalted butter little by little while the mixer is on. Add the vanilla extract and whisk again.
- Use a bread knife to cut the loaf horizontally through the middle. Transfer the buttercream into a piping bag with a star nozzle.
- Pipe swirls of buttercream in the centre of the loaf. Place the other half of the loaf on top. Pipe the remaining buttercream over the top of the loaf.
- To make the chocolate decorations, pour the melted dark chocolate into a piping bag. Line a tray with non-stick parchment paper. Pipe different patterns onto the parchment. Allow to set in the fridge for five minutes.
- Drizzle the loaf with the remaining melted chocolate. Top with mini eggs and push in some of the set chocolate designs.
Per Serving 788kcals, 51.6g fat (32.9g saturated), 79.6g carbs (65.9g sugars), 7g protein, 2.3g fibre, 0.387g sodium