A homemade roulade of chocolate sponge filled with Avonmore Freshly Whipped Cream and dark chocolate shavings, dusted with icing sugar.
For the filling:
175g dark chocolate (around 56% cocoa solids), finely chopped
6 large eggs, at room temperature, separated
175g caster sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
Butter, for greasing
To fill and serve:
Icing sugar, for dusting
585ml Avonmore Freshly Whipped Cream
100g dark chocolate, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water, ensuring the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Place the egg whites in one bowl. Place the yolks in another and add the sugar.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk the egg whites on high speed until they form stiff peaks.
- Use the same mixer to whisk the sugar together with the egg yolks for 2-3 minutes or until very thick and pale. The mixture should leave a ribbon-like trail when the whisk is lifted out.
- Fold the cooled chocolate into the egg yolks.
- One-third at a time, gently fold in the egg whites using a spatula, being careful not to knock out the air. Sift the cocoa powder over the mixture and gently fold in.
- Grease the base and sides of a 23 x 33cm non-stick Swiss roll tin with butter and line and line with non-stick parchment paper.
- Transfer the chocolate batter into the tin and tilt around until the mixture is level. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until risen, then remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin.
- Lay a large piece of non-stick parchment paper out on your countertop and lightly dust with icing sugar. Carefully turn the sponge out onto the paper, then gently peel away the parchment paper.
- Spread 350ml of the Avonmore Freshly Whipped Cream over the sponge, leaving a border of about 2cm on all sides. Scatter over the grated dark chocolate.
- Turn the sponge so that one of the short sides faces you. Using a sharp knife, make a shallow cut along this short edge. Roll this cut edge over tightly to start, then continue rolling, using the sugar-dusted paper to help you roll.
- Use a large spatula to transfer the roulade to a serving plate, seam side down. Lightly dust with icing sugar before serving with the remaining whipped cream.
Per serving: 495kcals, 30.1g (18.4g saturated), 49.7g carbs (42g sugars), 9.6g protein, 1.6g fibre, 0.117g sodium
Recipe proudly brought to you by