100g roasted hazelnuts
115g dark chocolate, broken into chunks
200g brown sugar
220g plain flour
40g unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp instant coffee powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
3 large eggs
1½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 150˚C/130˚C fan/gas mark 2 and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place the chocolate and brown sugar in a food processor and whizz until fine.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, coffee powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the eggs and vanilla with an electric mixer for one minute until combined. Add the chocolate mixture and the flour mixture and beat until a stiff dough forms. Add the hazelnuts about halfway through.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and divide it in half. Form each piece of dough into a log roughly 25cm long and 5cm wide.
- Transfer these to the prepared baking tray, leaving about 8cm in between. Bake for 35-40 minutes until they are almost firm to the touch. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 2cm slices, using a serrated knife. Place the slices cut-side down on the baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes, turn them over and bake for another 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Love hazelnuts and chocolate? You need to try this…
99kcals, 2.5g fat (1.6g saturated), 17.6g carbs, 10g sugars, 2.1g protein, 0.8g fibre, 0.08g sodium
To add a little extra, dip half of each biscotti slice into melted chocolate and allow to set.