Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Preheat the oven to 150 ̊C/130 ̊C fan/gas mark 2.
- Heat a little of the oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Working in batches so as not to overcrowd the pan, brown the beef on all sides, adding more oil if needed. When the beef is browned, transfer to a casserole dish.
- Place the onions, ginger, garlic and coriander stalks in a food processor or mini chopper and whizz into a paste.
- Use a ball of kitchen paper to wipe out the pan. Return to a medium heat and add the paste along with the water. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the paste is fragrant.
- Add the five spice, star anise and peppercorns and cook for one minute.
- Add the sugar, soy sauce and tomato purée. Add a splash of beef stock and stir to combine, then pour over the beef in the casserole dish. Add more stock until the beef is just covered.
- Cover the dish tightly with tin foil, then put on the lid. Place in the oven for three hours or until the beef is very tender.
- Lift the beef out of the sauce onto a board. Shred using two forks.
- With the lid off, place the casserole over a high heat and boil the sauce until it has reduced by about half.
- Stir the beef back into the sauce. Serve over rice scattered with the reserved coriander.
Note: Brisket can be used as an alternative to beef shin, if you wish.
Per serving: 426kcals, 13g fat (4.5g saturated), 22g carbs, 15.9g sugars, 53.3g protein, 1.8g fibre, 1.246g sodium
Popular in Beef
Meatball chilli con carne