250g frozen spinach, thawed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 leek, washed, trimmed and chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
4 chicken fillets or skinless thighs, poached and finely shredded
4 tbsp pine nuts
180g fresh Ricotta
Salt and black pepper
25g butter, plus extra for greasing
25g plain flour
50g Parmesan, grated
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Pinch of cayenne pepper
8 large cannelloni tubes
500ml tomato passata
- Squeeze the thawed spinach over the sink to remove excess water. Place the spinach in a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan over a medium heat. Cook the leek for 5-6 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for one minute longer. Stir in the shredded chicken and set aside to cool.
- Place a small dry pan over a medium heat and toast the pine nuts for 2-3 minutes, shaking the pan and watching carefully so that they don’t burn.
- Add the chicken mixture to the spinach along with the Ricotta, toasted pine nuts and some salt and pepper. Mix to combine well.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Lightly grease a baking dish with butter.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the flour and cook for two minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly add the milk, stirring after each addition until the mixture is smooth. Cook, stirring, until it comes to the boil. Stir in the Parmesan, mustard and cayenne pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer the chicken mixture to a piping bag, or place in a sealable bag and snip off one bottom corner. Pipe the chicken filling into the cannelloni tubes.
- Pour about half of the passata into the base of the prepared baking dish.
- Place the filled cannelloni tubes over the passata. Pour the remaining passata evenly over the cannelloni, then top with the béchamel sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until the pasta is cooked and the top is golden. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Per Serving: 836kcals, 14.9g fat (14.9g saturated), 67g carbs, 7.6g sugars, 59.2g protein, 3.7g fibre, 0.51g sodium