275g penne pasta
1 medium head of broccoli, cut into florets
4 cooked chicken fillets or leftover roast chicken, chopped into bite-sized pieces
For the sauce:
40g plain flour
500ml warm milk
Pinch of grated nutmeg (optional)
150ml chicken stock
2 tbsp crème fraîche
Juice of ½ a lemon
- Preheat oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas mark 5. Grease a large baking dish with butter.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the penne according to the package instructions. Add the broccoli for the final two minutes of cooking. Drain well, run under cold water and set aside.
- For the sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook for three minutes over a medium heat, stirring constantly. Gradually add in the milk and stir until smooth, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the grated nutmeg, if using, along with the stock and crème fraîche.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally. Season well and add the lemon juice.
- Stir in the penne, cooked chicken and broccoli florets until completely coated.
- Transfer to the baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges are bubbling. Divide amongst warmed plates and serve immediately.
Per serving:556kcals, 22.9g fat (11.1g saturated), 48.6g carbs (6.2g sugars), 38.3g protein, 2.3g fibre, 0.409g sodium