1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and black pepper
6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, chopped
2 onions, chopped
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 leeks, washed, trimmed and chopped 2 small turnips, peeled and chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
600ml chicken stock
150ml red wine
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
120g pearl barley
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish over a medium-high heat. Season the chicken pieces and brown on all sides, working in batches if necessary to avoid crowding the pan. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add all of the vegetables to the pan with a small splash of stock. Turn the heat to low, cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the heat to medium-high, add the red wine and allow to bubble for 2-3 minutes, using a wooden spoon to scrape any sticky bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomato purée and cook for two minutes, stirring.
- Pour in the remaining chicken stock and add the tinned tomatoes, thyme, barley and some salt and pepper. Simmer for 45 minutes until the barley is cooked and the vegetables are tender. Serve with mashed potato or crusty bread.
Per serving: 477kcals, 10.1g fat (2.7g saturated), 51.6g carbs (13.2g sugars), 40.4g protein, 10.7g fibre, 0.681g sodium