50g quinoa, uncooked
1 x 400g package of extra-firm tofu
Olive oil, for greasing
4 tbsp plain flour
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp salt
125g ball of fresh Mozzarella, sliced
3 tbsp Parmesan, grated
250ml tomato sauce, warmed
- Cook the quinoa according to the package instructions.
- Wrap the tofu in a clean tea towel and place under something heavy (like a cast iron pan or baking dish) to squeeze out excess moisture.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6 and lightly grease a baking tray with oil.
- In a shallow bowl, stir together the flour, garlic powder, onion powder and salt.
- Whisk the egg in a second shallow bowl and place the cooked quinoa in a third.
- Cut the tofu into eight slices.
- One piece at a time, dredge the tofu in the flour mixture, then dip it into the egg until coated. Shake off any excess egg, then coat the tofu in the quinoa, pressing it on firmly.
- Transfer the coated tofu onto the prepared baking tray.
- Divide the pieces of Mozzarella evenly over the tops of the tofu pieces, then sprinkle over the Parmesan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the quinoa is crispy.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with the tomato sauce. Serve with green peas for an added protein boost.
238kcals, 10.2g fat (3.9g saturated), 20.2g carbs, 3.5g sugars, 19.2g protein, 3g fibre, 0.672g sodium
MAKE IT YOURS
You can also use this quinoa coating and cheesy topping for chicken strips — just bake them for 25 minutes and ensure they are completely cooked throughout before serving.