Makes 1 loaf
Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C/200˚C fan/gas mark 7. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, paprika and half of the salt into a mixing bowl. Add the butter and rub it in until crumbly.
- Stir in the Cheddar, reserving about one tablespoon for the topping. Stir in the grated onion and chives.
- Whisk the milk and vinegar together in a jug, then stir into the mixing bowl.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and quickly shape it into a round. Transfer to a baking tray and cut an X into the top using a long knife.
- Sprinkle the reserved Cheddar and remaining salt over the top. Bake in the centre of the oven for 35-45 minutes, or until it is risen and sounds hollow when tapped underneath.
Per serving: 263kcals, 6.8g fat (4g saturated), 40.5g carbs, 1.7g sugars, 9.2g protein, 1.6g fibre, 0.564g sodium
IrishPicnicLow sugarBreakfast & BrunchCholesterol-friendly recipesLunch & snacksLow-fatSpecial OccasionsBreadSt. Patrick’s DayCuisinesBakingMake it HealthyVegetarian
Popular in Irish
Lemon sole with dillisk butter