Makes 1 loaf
Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Mix the yeast, sugar and warm water in a medium bowl until dissolved.
- Add 200g of the flour and whisk the mixture to a smooth batter. Set the bowl aside covered with a clean tea towel and allow to rise for 25 minutes.
- Combine the salt, butter and remaining flour in a mixing bowl. Use your fingers to rub the salt and butter into the flour.
- Mix the egg into the flour and yeast mixture, then add this mixture to the to the mixing bowl, combining everything together to form a soft dough.
- Scrape the mixture out onto a floured work surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a clean mixing bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave to rise for 20 minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto the work surface again and divide into three equal pieces. Shape each piece of dough into a round ball, then roll each piece out into a log about 25cm long.
- Take the three lengths of dough and join together at one end.
- Plait the dough using the following sequence: cross the left strand over the middle strand, then cross the right strand over the middle strand. Keep repeating until the full plait is formed.
- Transfer the plait to a baking tray covered with parchment paper. Brush the top with the egg wash and sprinkle over the poppy seeds. Set aside and leave the plait to rise for 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6 and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
Per serving: 198kcals, 4.7g fat (2.2g saturated), 31g carbs, 2.5g sugars, 7.7g protein, 4.4g fibre, 0.23g sodium
Popular in Bread
Irish potato bread