Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the cheese sauce:
For the mushroom duxelles:
For the Wellington:
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas mark 5.
- For the cheese sauce, place the milk in a small pot and bring to the boil, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a second saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the flour and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add the hot milk a little as a time, whisking constantly as the mixture becomes more saucy. Cook for 2-3 minutes, whisking until smooth.
- Add the grated cheese and black pepper, mix to combine and set aside.
- For the mushroom duxelles, heat the olive oil and butter in a pan over a medium heat. Cook the onion for 5-6 minutes until soft. Add the garlic, mushrooms, rosemary and thyme and cook for 8-10 minutes longer.
- When the mushrooms are tender, turn up the heat and let the mixture bubble for five minutes until there’s almost no liquid remaining. Add the chopped parsley and season well with salt and black pepper. Allow to cool.
- Trim all outer leaves from the cauliflower and trim the base so that it sits flat. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and roll out one sheet of puff pastry on top. Place the cauliflower on top of the pastry. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and plenty of black pepper.
- Spread the mushroom mixture over the surface on the cauliflower, then pour over the cheese sauce and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Brush a circle of egg wash around the cauliflower, then gently place the second sheet of puff pastry over the top, sticking it to the bottom sheet of pastry. Use a sharp knife to cut away excess pastry, leaving roughly 5cm around the base.
- Brush the Wellington all over with egg wash. Pierce a small hole in the top for steam to escape.
- Bake for one hour. Check to see if it is fully cooked by poking a skewer through the top — the cauliflower should be tender.
- Remove from the oven and place on a serving board.
Per Serving: 878kcals, 60.3g fat (19.8g saturated), 65.3g carbs (7.4g sugars), 21.4g protein, 5g fibre, 0.564g sodium
ChristmasDinnerEasterDiabetic-friendlyMeat-freeSpecial OccasionsFamily mealsSunday roastDinner partyBudget mealsMake it HealthyVegetarian
Popular in Christmas