For the carrot cake:
375g plain flour
1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
3 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp salt
400g carrots, grated
100g walnuts, chopped
300g light brown sugar
270g vegetable oil
90g Greek yoghurt
5 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
Zest of 1 orange
For the cream cheese icing:
400g icing sugar, sifted
200g unsalted butter, softened
100g cream cheese, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
Orange zest Walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C/160 ̊C fan/
gas mark 4 and line two 20cm tins with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, carrots, walnuts, sultanas and brown sugar. Mix together until just combined.
- In a jug, whisk together the oil, yoghurt, eggs, vanilla and orange zest. Make a well
in the centre of the dry ingredients and gradually stir in the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool fully.
- For the icing, beat together the icing sugar and butter in a large bowl until smooth. Add the cream cheese and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- To decorate, use a serrated knife to trip off the dome of the cake. Place the first sponge onto a cake stand or serving plate. Spoon on some icing and use a palette knife to smooth out the icing into an even layer. Top with the second sponge
- Spoon over the remaining icing and finish with some orange zest and chopped nuts.
801kcals, 47.6g fat (16.6g saturated), 88g carbs (59.8g sugars), 8.8g protein, 2.6g fibre, 0.437g sodium