500ml double cream
¼ tsp ground black cardamom
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp vanilla extract
8 egg yolks
50g caster sugar, plus 6 tsp for topping
- Preheat the oven to 150˚C/130˚C fan/gas mark 3 and butter the insides of six 150ml ramekin dishes.
- Combine the cream, milk, spices and vanilla in a saucepan over a medium heat. Heat, stirring often, until bubbles form at the sides of the pan (do not let the mixture boil).
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl for two minutes until the mixture is thick and pale.
- Slowly stream the hot cream mixture into the eggs, all while whisking constantly until smooth.
- Strain the mixture into a measuring jug to discard of any lumps, then pour into the ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a roasting tin. Pour enough hot water in the tin to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover with a second baking tin, leaving a gap at one end so that steam can escape.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the edges are set but the centre is still wobbly. Cool for a couple minutes, then transfer to the fridge to cool completely.
- Before serving, set the ramekins on a baking tray. Sprinkle one teaspoon of sugar over the top of each, spreading to cover completely. Place under the grill for 5-10 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
Per serving: 433kcals, 38.2g fat (22.2g saturated), 17.8g carbs, 14.5g sugars, 6.8g protein, 0g fibre, 0.063g sodium