Makes approx. 15
Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the cake
For the buttercream
For the ganache
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/160oC fan/ gas mark 4. Line a 30 x 24cm baking tray with parchment paper.
- To make the cake layer, mix the oil, buttermilk, and vanilla extract together in a medium bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, caster sugar and brown sugar. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients using a stand mixer or an electric whisk, and whisk until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time and whisk again.
- Add the cake batter to the prepared tray in an even layer. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool fully before slicing the cake in half.
- To make the buttercream, beat the icing sugar and butter until smooth. Add the strawberry jam and whisk until combined.
- Spread the buttercream in an even layer over one half of the cake. Top with the other half of the cake and cut into 3 x 3cm squares.
- For the ganache, heat the cream in a pot over medium heat. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate and sugar, stirring until both are melted.
- To decorate, drizzle the ganache over the cut squares, allow to set and serve with strawberries.
Per serving: 638kcals, 31.2g fat (15.5g saturated), 88.9g carbs, 73.3g sugars, 5.6g protein, 2.5g fibre, 0.318g sodium
CakesSweet thingsChocolateTraybakesValentine’s DaySpecial OccasionsFrenchCuisinesBakingDinner partyVegetarian
Popular in Cakes
Chai tea cake